Week forty-nine that is the longest Un-interrupted spree of anything I can remember. This post will most likely be a pivotal point as I hand in my one year report on Monday.
As you may be aware, because I have been whining about it for what feels like six months, I have to hand in a report that is the deciding factor as to whether I can carry on studying for three further years or leave with a simple masters degree.
One of my issues, among many, is that I get bored of reading my work quite quickly and have pretty much lost all interest by this point. There are still a few days of editing and last minute additions to go. Here is a graph of my attitude towards my work when a deadline approaches.
As you can see from
the figure, there is an increase in effort up to roughly one month
before the deadline. Then I lose enthusiasm as the deadline
approaches. Well, folks, I am at the last point where my enthusiasm
is very low, I am sick of reading my work and can’t wait to hand it
in. They say a thesis is never finished; it is just abandoned. That
is how I feel with all work, to be honest.
It will be great to have the life back where I can, spend my weekends relaxing and exploring rather than sitting at my computer finding things to distract me from my work.
In the week of a PhD student, there has not been much to talk about this week. I did do one thing that was slightly interesting. I may be pushing the boundaries of the acceptability for the use of the word interesting, but I did some microbiology!
I had done some micro before, during my undergraduate studies, and thoroughly hated it. The reason I am doing it now is that my supervisor said I should, and I agreed. It may give us some useful data. I had forgotten how much was involved in cultivating microorganisms. I had remembered that something’s had to be sterilised but hadn’t realised that absolutely everything needed to be sterilised and that a special maximum recovery diluent needed to be sterilised and used. So most of the effort of the experiment was spent on sterilising everything. I quickly remembered why I am not too fond of micro work.
The experiment went okay, albeit a few days later than I expected due to the need for sterilising everything. I am going to repeat it in a few weeks to see how much worse the samples have become and hopefully capture the entire range I would expect to find in real-world situations. I will think about that when it comes to it.
Wish me luck people, next time I talk to you I will have handed in my report and had my viva. Although as this was written three months ago, I probably won’t remember what it was like.